It’s true she had you before me.
But did she really?
After all, I can be had – as in fooled. But I cannot be possessed. And if you were truly meant to be, wouldn’t you be still?
I have shared myself with more than a few. With each I hope I bring something new. Like my better self. Softened, not hardened by time. More to experience and hold, if you will.
~Just L (June 10, 2018)
The Liebster Award for New Blogs
I feel so kindly “seen” today… Anacrazyfuturewriter nominated my Just L Poetry site for The Liebster Award! I’m so honored to be nominated by such a young talented blogger who cares deeply about sharing the insanely profound and the profoundly insane of her life. She boldly shares everything that goes through a teenage girl’s mind while exploring new forms and styles of poetry. I highly recommend reading her blog!
The rules of the Award are as follows:
- Link to the Global Aussie’s blog post about the Award in your Liebster Award blog post.
- Thank the person who nominated you, and put a link to their blog on your blog.
- Write a small post about what makes you passionate about blog posting.
- Provide 10 random facts about yourself.
- Answer the questions presented to you.
- Nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel would enjoy blogging about this award.
- Create 11 questions for your nominees to answer.
- List the rules in your post.
- Display the award on your blog.
- Once you have written and published your post, then inform your nominees of their nomination!
- Comment on the Global Aussie’s blog post with a link DIRECTLY to your Liebster award. To make it easy for Global Aussie to read all of the nominations.
Entries start January 1, 2018, and end on December 25, 2018. The winner will be picked on the 31st of December.
What makes me passionate about blogging:
I kept a journal from 5th grade until I was approximately 35 years-old. Around that time I noticed my journal writing morphed into poetry writing, mostly about love and loss. I was first published in the Love Blender Digest, the web’s original love poetry community, in 1997, and have continued to be a featured contributor. I found that my bad relationships, bad romantic poetry, and positive life attitude resonated with others. This connection, along with my yoga teacher and friend encouraging me to participate in NaPoWriMo (National Poetry Writing Month), fueled my passion to start blogging. I write grants for nonprofits for a living. I spend much of my time writing silly, semi-autobiographical love poems to avoid work deadlines. At age 55, I appreciate that my musings on love and loss resonates across all ages and continents.
10 random facts about me:
- “They slipped briskly into an intimacy from which they never recovered.” By F. Scott Fitzgerald is my favorite quote.
- I went to Skip Barber’s race car driving school at age 50. I may have missed my life’s calling.
- I have three tattoos. The words from an e.e. cummings poem, “I carry your heart in my heart” around a heart; A Pascal quote, “The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of;” and a dandelion blown into hearts.
- I have worked in and/or traveled to 14 countries. I currently live part time in Oregon, USA, and part time in Jalisco, Mexico.
- I follow Mila Stauffer on Instagram. She makes me laugh, and her teen sister who scripts and films her is brilliant and current.
- I am a wine geek. My current favorite is a light, sophisticated Pinot Noir rosé from Gran Moraine in Oregon’s Willamette Valley.
- Mythologist Joseph Campbell’s “Follow your bliss” as highlighted in The Hero’s Journey: Joseph Campbell on His Life and Work is the mantra I live by.
- I could eat caprese salad every day!
- I like to rock out to AC/DC.
- Shawshank Redemption is my all-time favorite movie. I see it as a love story.
Answer the questions presented to you:
- What is one feature of your Utopian vision of the world?
Social justice is so ingrained in my Utopia there is no reason to label it as such.
- What would you entitle the book about your life?
My mother always said it would be Rebel Without A Pause. I think that has since been taken. Plan L: Because A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, and K didn’t work out is my newest venture; I think it would make a good book title. My life has had extreme highs and lows. I have been married three times. I have two wonderful adult children. I have had great adventures. I have a fabulously rich life, friends and family. I have learned to embrace it all.
- If you could give one piece of advice to your teenage self, what would it be?
Don’t give yourself away so easily. Much of the advice in Cosmo magazine is complete bullshit.
- Which TV series/book/movie is your guilty pleasure?
I binge watch Hallmark movies. I like a sappy, happy ending.
- What is one hilarious quote from a book, show, or movie that cracks you up every time?
Longshanks to Isabella: “You may return to your embroidery.” A quote from the movie Braveheart. I don’t even know why I find it so funny, but I do. Perhaps it is how she shows him that she is her own woman with her own mind after that cutting remark.
- Which dystopian future would you want to be part of?
Hmm, I always wanted to be Aeon Flux! But I am a little obsessed with Westworld at the present.
- Which underrated person, real or fictional, dead or alive, would you want to have lunch with?
Dominick John Dunne was an American writer, investigative journalist, and producer. He hobnobbed with the rich and famous of the 1950’s. I was addicted to the TV series he hosted on truTV, Dominick Dunne’s Power, Privilege, and Justice, in which he discussed justice and injustice and their intersection with celebrities. He had many successes and tribulations in the entertainment industry and in life. I have always found him fascinating and overall underrated.
- Which World Record would you want to break?
100 meter dash. To be named the fastest woman in the world would be really cool. But I also love motorcycles…
- What is one thing you thought was true as a child, but now know is most certainly not true?
Everyone grows up, gets married, has a house with a picket fence, Volvo station wagon, two kids, and a dog, and lives happily ever after.
- What is the least dignified way you’ve been injured?
After sitting on an outside bar at a dance club in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, hooking my high heels on the rail, I fell face first onto the sidewalk.
- And finally, the question that just begs to be asked: Laurel or Yanny?Laurel.
Though these blogs may have more than 200 readers, here are my nominees:
- After Narcissist Abuse
- A Short Conversation
- O at the Edges
- The Naga
Create 11 questions for your nominees to answer:
- What does your blogging name mean?
- When did you start blogging?
- What would constitute a “perfect” day for you?
- For what in your life do you feel most grateful?
- What is the greatest accomplishment of your life?
- Complete this sentence: “I wish I had someone with whom I could share… “
- What is your best advice about love and relationships?
- If you could wake up tomorrow having gained any one quality or ability, what would it be?
- What would you like to be famous or infamous for?
- If a crystal ball could tell you the truth about yourself, your life, the future or anything else, what would you want to know?
- If you could wake up tomorrow having gained any one quality or ability, what would it be?
Nominees, I pass the torch on to you. Thanks for reading! ♥
When you love yourself, you’ll be able to celebrate the inner peace and happiness you feel WITH the outside world, not THROUGH it.
When you love yourself, you can enjoy the love you receive from others and don’t worry that they might lose interest or leave.
When you love yourself, you are unapologetic about living a life that speaks to you and who you really are. You don’t have to prove anything to anyone.
When you love yourself you are not too much, too little, too late… YOU are enough.
~Just L (June 6, 2018)
Author’s Note: Follow me on Instagram @ lori_bum.
#justlpoetry #loveyourself #selfie #onehundredotherhashtagsthatidontactuallyhashtag
After hours upon hours of skin on skin, I am awash in a wave of orgasm. Letting the sea carry me away. Finally, getting a handle on this letting go thing. Perhaps it is the fullness of the gift offered in our shared bed. Or lack of sleep after a late night with the band. Either way no matter how we move you always find my hand. Pulling me to safety only to float away again. By dawn, my brain is neither awake nor asleep. Though love fills my heart, sweat and humidity force us to separate. Except for your measured breath, you barely make a sound, exploring treasures in the deep. Pushing your thigh, pelvis, and abdomen to greet mine I scream with delight on the inside. Rising up only to subside. And, as quickly as it comes, it goes out with the tide.
~Just L (May 26, 2018)
Is that your skin
Warm against mine
Are we melting together
Or am I heating you up?
Are my eyes open or shut
Am I dreaming awake
Are you inside of me
Or am I lost in you?
~Just L (May 24, 2018)
She thinks I am in love with you
I don’t know what she sees
Everything I do and dare
My bedhead hair
How I walk on air?
I don’t know what she hears
An old tape (in her head) stuck on play
International spies and hearsay
Listening to me sipping cabernet?
I don’ t know her sources
We do not share friends, clearly
Did you talk, Siri?
Does she read my poetry?
But, I know how she feels
I’m the best thing you ever had
I’m not crazy, I’m mad
Was I that bad?
You think she knows you are in love with me?
~Just L (May 22, 2018)
Author’s Note: An oh so familiar tape. Unfortunately.
I appreciate you each new day. You are simple, natural, waking up still sleepy. You are my sweet dream in your own way. I had this epiphany. I adore the lilt in your voice. It is finer than a symphony.
I find sleeping in tangled sheets deeply affects my ability to entwine our bare feet.
And, soothing my weary soul with your touch quickens my heartbeat. With you, I feel safe, whole. When we share a beach fire over aged spirits in a bottle, and you kiss me plainly on the mouth stokes my desire. No doubt, I am committed to you. Your strong values I admire. You are in word and actions true. I love you more and more. When you say I love you, too, my heart is entirely yours. In this, we really have no choice. Together, our depths soar. Let’s simply rejoice.
~Just L (May 21, 2018)